Santé Ventures, an Austin, Texas-based healthcare and life sciences investment firm, closed its third fund, at $250m.
Fund III secured capital commitments from over 30 limited partners, including new investor Pennsylvania Public School Employees’ Retirement System.
The fund will now build a portfolio of 20-25 investments.
Founded in 2006, Santé Ventures specializes in early-stage companies developing innovative new medical technologies, biotechnologies, digital health technologies, and healthcare services.
The firm typically makes its first investment in a new portfolio company at the Seed through Series B round and either leads or co-leads all but follow-on investment rounds.
To date, Fund III has committed nearly 6.5% of capital into several investments, including:
– Cryosa for the treatment of sleep apnea,
– DyaMX for the treatment of Type II Diabetes, and
– Geneos Therapeutics, a neoantigen-based personalized cancer therapy.
Since inception, Santé has made 33 portfolio investments, including Claret Medical (Boston Scientific), TVA Medical (Becton Dickinson), Millipede Medical (Boston Scientific), Molecular Templates (MTEM), AbVitro (Celgene) and Explorys (IBM Corp).
The firm invests nationally and also has additional offices in Houston.
Santé’s investment team includes:
– Kevin M. Lalande, Managing Director
– Joe Cunningham, MD, Managing Director
– Douglas D. French, Managing Director
– James Eadie, MD, Partner
– Casey Cunningham, MD, Chief Scientific Officer
– Billy Cohn, MD, Venture Partner
– Louis Bock, Venture Partner
– Michael Hoffman, Senior Advisor
– David Kaufman, Chief Operating Officer
– Jason Brandt, CPA, Chief Financial Officer and Chief Compliance Officer
– Brett Skukauski, Controller
– Derek Mazur, Senior Associate
– Derek Dedeker, Senior Analyst
– Jake Rogers, Operations Associate
– Julia Rhee, Director of Marketing and Investor Relations