Wemo Media, a Los Angeles, CA-based film production studio, has raised seed funding.
Amount and investors remained undisclosed.
The company’s first social, entertainment web app is theBlu, which invites users to connect in an animated, online underwater world. currently in private beta.
In private beta since October 2011, theBlu is the first of many titles that Wemo Media will be releasing through its media creation platform, which is comprised of a variety of creatives – artists, software engineers, animators, composers – to collaborate from wherever they are in the world.
Led by Co-Founder and CEO Neville Spiteri, the company’s team includes:
– Andy Jones (Academy Award winner, Avatar),
– Kevin Mack (Academy Award winner, What Dreams May Come),
– Louie Psihoyos (Academy Award winner, The Cove),
– Joichi Ito (Director, MIT Media Lab) and
– Sylvia Earle (Explorer in Residence, National Geographic).
Wemo Media has also opened its platform to students and is working in collaboration with the MIT Media Lab, USC School of Cinematic Art, Carnegie Mellon’s Entertainment Technology Center, Art Institutes and other universities and institutions.