Longwood Founders Management, LLC, a healthcare venture capital firm, closed its first fund at $85m.
Investors in Longwood Founders Fund, L.P. include GlaxoSmithKline, Genzyme, and several institutional investors.
Managed by partners Rich Aldrich, Michelle Dipp, MD, PhD, and Christoph Westphal, MD, PhD, the fund focuses on founding, managing, and building biotechnology companies with innovative science and the potential to create important new medicines.
The fund already invested in Alnara Pharmaceuticals, Inc., which was acquired by Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY), and Verastem, Inc.
In addition to its team, strategic advisory board members include:
– Moncef Slaoui (chairman R&D, GlaxoSmithKline),
– Paul Schimmel (National Academy of Sciences, co-Founder Alnylam),
– Phil Sharp (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, National Academy of Sciences, Nobel Prize winner and co-founder of Biogen and Alnylam),
– Peter Hutt (Former FDA General Counsel),
– David Sinclair (Harvard, co-founder of Sirtris),
– Christopher Walsh (Harvard, National Academy of Sciences, Genzyme).