Epic Sciences, a San Diego, CA-based diagnostics company, raised $24M in Series G funding.
The round, which brought the total amount to $67M, was led by Deerfield Management and Arsenal Capital Partners, with participation from Blue Ox Healthcare Partners, Domain Ventures, and Labcorp.
The company intends to use the capital to fund:
- the commercial infrastructure required to commercialize the DefineMBC tests, including the continued expansion of its new market-facing departments: sales, product marketing, customer service, medical affairs, payer markets, and billing, as well as
- the development of additional concordance and outcomes data for the DefineMBC tests.
Led by Lloyd Sanders, President and CEO, Epic Sciences is developing and marketing novel diagnostics for the therapy selection and monitor disease progression, personalizing and advancing the treatment and management of prostate and breast cancers. Its liquid biopsy platform leverages proven, proprietary cell analysis capabilities as well as cell-free analysis to provide more complete, efficient analysis and clearer insights – Comprehensive Cancer Profiling.
DefineMBC™ provides comprehensive blood-based biopsy results available to patients with metastatic breast cancer by delivering a report which includes:
- detection of circulating tumor cells (CTCs)
- assessment of HER-2 cellular protein expression coupled with
- single-cell sequencing of identified cells to assess amplification of the ERBB2 gene locus
- assessment of ER cellular protein expression
- a plasma-based, 56-gene panel of cell-free DNA including
- ERBB2 and PIK3CA
- tumor mutational burden (TMB)