SJF Ventures, a Durham, N.C.-based venture capital firm, has launched SJF Ventures V, L.P., a $175 million impact investment fund.
Limited partners in the fund include leading foundation endowments, pension funds, family offices, funds of funds, and individual impact investors.
Founded in 1999, SJF backs visionary entrepreneurial teams working in clean energy and climate, circular economy and logistics, mobility and govtech, health, education, future of work, and sustainable food.
The firm invests between $3 and $15 million in companies and SJF team members engage with management teams, bringing time-tested perspective, established networks, and sector-level expertise to partnerships with entrepreneurs.
The firm, which has offices in Durham, New York, San Francisco, and Seattle, has invested in 70 portfolio companies, employing more than 14,000 individuals across 22 states. Representative portfolio businesses include:
- Nextracker, a renewable energy company that has delivered 50 gigawatts of solar tracking systems globally;
- HYLA, a circular economy company that has reused or recycled over 62 million cell phones through its trade-in programs;
- Vital Farms, an ethical food company that supports more than 200 family farms;
- mPulse Mobile, a healthcare engagement and communication platform powering over 500 million health conversations annually;
- Jopwell, a career platform for Black, LatinX, and Native American professionals;
- ShipMonk, an e-commerce logistics company;
- Waycare, a mobility data platform that allows cities to reduce traffic congestion and crashes; and
- TemperPack, a sustainable packaging company that has replaced polystyrene in 500 million shipments to date.
The firm is also a co-founder of Impact Capital Managers, a network of 57 impact-focused venture capital and private equity funds representing $12 billion in assets under management.