Lux Capital, a venture capital firm based in New York City and Silicon Valley investing in counter-conventional, seed and early stage science and technology ventures, raised over $1.050 billion for two new funds.
The vehicles include:
– a $500m sixth early-stage fund, and
– a $550m second opportunity fund focused on growth-stage investments.
LPs include major medical and scientific research foundations, children’s hospitals, global non-profits, and university endowments.
With this capital, Lux is now actively managing more than $2.4 billion.
Over the past decade, the firm has expanded from New York City to Silicon Valley, and built a diverse firm of over 20 full-time professionals, with a wide spectrum of technical backgrounds and the versatility to invest at any stage, from $50k to $50m.
The portfolio is comprised of CTRL-labs, Saildrone, Zoox, Aeva, Applied Intuition, Drone Racing League, Planet, Kallyope, Desktop Metal, Recursion, and Visla, among others.
– Johnson & Johnson’s 2019 acquisition of medical robotics company Auris Health for up to $6 billion,
– Cisco’s 2019 acquisition of silicon photonics innovator Luxtera for $660 million,
– Veolia’s 2016 acquisition of Kurion, an advanced robotics startup advancing engineering technologies to clean and contain nuclear waste, for nearly $400 million, and
– Intel’s acquisition AI chip pioneer Nervana Systems for $400 million.
In addition to the new fund, the firm added investment Partner Deena Shakir, formerly at was at GV (formerly Google Ventures), supporting a portfolio of over 300 companies with their business development and growth opportunities. At Google, she helped land strategic partnerships for early-stage products in health care, research, machine intelligence and search, and also led social impact investments at Google.org.
– Peter Hébert, Co-founder and Managing Partner
– Josh Wolfe, Co-founder and Managing Partner
– Adam Kalish, General Partner
– Steven Brody, COO
– Segolene Scarborough, CFO,
– Zavain Dar, Partner
– Shahin Farshchi, PhD, Partner
– Adam Goulburn, PhD, Partner
– Zack Schildhorn, Partner
– Bilal Zuberi, PhD, Partner
– Brandon Reeves, Principal
– Sam Arbesman, PhD, Scientist in Residence
– Sebastian Soler, Data Science Associate
– Alex Nguyen, Senior Analyst
– Robert Paull, Co-founder and Venture Partner
– Tuvia Barak, Venture Partner
– Richard Foster, PhD, Venture Partner
– Jeff Kindler, Venture Partner
– R. James Woolsey, Venture Partner
– Renata Quintini, Venture Partner and EIR