Kindred, an organization that brings together communities of influential creators, platforms and purpose-driven brands to accelerate the next generation of social movements, raised $3m in venture capital funding.
The round was led by New York-based venture capital firm Primary Venture Partners.
Kindred will begin holding its first regular events, called Quests, in Spring 2019. Quests will bring small groups of influential creators together with platforms, experts and nonprofit organizations to identify and develop opportunities to accelerate social movements that lead to meaningful progress in crucial areas that will include mental health, global warming and sustainability, diversity and inclusion, gun violence, criminal justice reform and voting rights.
Its first annual flagship event will be held in San Diego, California, May 11-13, 2020, and will gather more than 2,500 Kindred community members to celebrate their accomplishments and further engage in initiatives developed through Kindred’s Quests.
Early partners will include Twitter, S’Well, the Ad Council, HBO and the WarnerMedia Innovation Lab.
Kindred’s founding advisory council includes:
- blogger/podcaster/New York Times best-selling author Luvvie Ajayi;
- comedian/writer/YouTuber Akilah Hughes;
- actor Anthony Rapp;
- Passion Pit’s Michael Angelakos;
- Dash Radio founder DJ Skee,
- Complex CEO Rich Antoniello;
- Life Camp’s Erica Ford;
- Blackbird CEO Ross Martin;
- HBO EVP Digital & Social Media Sabrina Caluori;
- WarnerMedia Innovation Lab GM Jesse Redniss;
- Unilever North America Head of Sustainability Viviana Alvarez Sanchez;
- NHL CMO Heidi Browning;
- GE Executive Director of Marketing Sam Olstein;
- co-author of Good Is The New Cool Afdhel Aziz;
- Bonin Ventures’ Bonin Bough;
- UTA IQ Head of Strategy Kendall Ostrow;
- Loop Industries’ Chief Growth Officer Nelson Switzer;
- Shots’ VP, Business, Marshall Osborne;
- Brandless’ Head of Social Impact Lee Ann Grant;
- The Fund at First Access Entertainment’s Simon Tikhman;
- Snapchat’s Global Head of Brand Marketing Shachar Scott; and
- Twitter’s Head of Content Creation Stacy Minero.
It is led by
– Ian Schafer, co-founder and chief executive officer,
– Anil D. Aggarwal, chairman
– Natasha Mulla (former CMO, Mashable);
– Ting Wang (former head of global event marketing, Twitter);
– Eileen Carty (former head of brand partnerships, POPSUGAR, and industry lead, Condé Nast); and
– Kevin Hu (former EIR at Primary Venture Partners).