Panna, a New York, NY-based curated video cooking magazine for iPhone and iPad, raised $1.35m in first funding.
The round was led by Anthem Ventures, with participation from Lerer Ventures, Crosslink Ventures, Maveron, Advancit Capital, RSL Venture Partners, Launchpad LA, BoxGroup, Rick J. Caruso, Ken Siskind, Jay Livingston, Dan Rose, Aaron Schiff and David Levy.
The company intends to use the funds to expand the team, produce new content and ramp up sales and marketing efforts.
Created by entertainment industry veteran David Ellner, Panna is a digital magazine, each containing 13 seasonal video recipes from master chefs including:
– Jonathan Waxman (Barbuto),
– Rick Bayless (Frontera Grill and Top Chef Masters Winner);
– Sean Brock (Husk, McCrady’s);
– Melissa Clark (NY Times food writer and recipe developer);
– Melissa Hamilton and Christopher Hirscheimer (Canal House Cooking);
– Anita Lo (Annisa and Top Chef Masters);
– Seamus Mullen (Boqueria, Tertulia);
– Chad Sarno (Health Starts Here Senior Culinary Educator, R&D Chef); Nancy Silverton (Osteria Mozza); and Michael Tusk (Cotogna, Quince).
The Panna TV feature allows readers to watch the entire issue’s content like a TV program with a scrubber to fast-forward and rewind.
The company has signed partnerships with brands like Sur La Table and Whole Foods to include new chef segments on cooking equipment and vegan friendly meals.