Carbon, a Redwood City, Calif.-based digital manufacturing platform, raised over $260m in growth funding.
The round, which brings total funding to more than $680m, was co-led by Madrone Capital Partners and Baillie Gifford, with participation from new investors Temasek and Arkema and existing investors including Sequoia Capital, Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JJDC, Inc. (JJDC), Fidelity Management & Research Company, adidas Ventures, and JSR Corporation.
The company intends to use the funds to:
– hire in the sales, marketing, and customer experience areas,
– expand R&D efforts, establishing its first Advanced Development Facility (ADF),
– invest in the ongoing development of recyclable and biocompatible materials,
– increase its software capabilities including its Digital Manufacturing Cloud, and
– accelerate international growth and expansion in Europe and Asia.
Led by Dr. Joseph DeSimone, CEO, Carbon provides digital manufacturing solutions to innovate how polymer products are designed, engineered, manufactured, and delivered towards a sustainable future.
Its Digital Light Synthesis™ technology and broad family of programmable liquid resins allow manufacturers to get access to new business opportunities such as mass customization, on-demand inventory, and product designs.
Founded in 2013, the company has over 400 employees and is now operational in 14 countries.