Magic Leap, a Plantation, Florida-based augmented reality company, raised $280m in funding.
Ntt Docomo, Inc., Japan’s largest mobile operator, made the investment.
The two companies also signed a partnership to:
– bring spatial computing to Japan,
– customize Magic Leap’s software operating system for the Japanese market, and
– provide support for the developer and creator communities who are helping to build out the spatial computing ecosystem.
Ntt Docomo will be the exclusive telecommunications partner of the company in Japan. This deal also furthers the realization of the Magicverse, an emergent system of systems bridging the physical and digital in a persistent manner that will eventually scale to be global in reach.
Led by Rony Abovitz, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Magic Leap has developed a lightweight, wearable device that allows digital content to coexist with real world objects and the people around users. It sees what they see and uses its understanding of surroundings and context to create experiences.
It comes in two versions:
– Magic Leap for Business, to develop experiences for manufacturing, retail, entertainment and more, and
– Magic Leap for Creators, to develop consumer experiences.