Thumbtack.com, a San Francisco CA-based marketplace where consumers can find, compare, and book local services, closed a $1.2m round of financing.
The funding came from angel investors including:
– Cyan Banister (Founder of Zivity)
– Scott Banister (Founder of IronPort; Former board member of Paypal)
– Vance Bjorn (Founder & CTO of DigitalPersona)
– Mark Britto (Founder & CEO of Boku; Former SVP of Worldwide Sales & Services of Amazon)
– Jason Calacanis (Founder of WebBlogs & Mahalo)
– Yan-David Elrich (Founder & CEO of ChoiceVendor)
– Scott Faber (Founder of Ingenio)
– Mark Goines (Former SVP of Consumer at Intuit; Former board member of Mint)
– Denis Grosz (Founder of Conjecture)
– Auren Hoffman (Founder & CEO of RapLeaf)
– Ali Partovi (Co-founder of LinkExchange, Co-founder of iLike)
– Hadi Partovi (Co-founder of Tellme Networks; GM of MSN.com at Microsoft)
– Ariel Poler (Founder of l/PRO, Topica and TextMarks)
– Joshua Schachter (Founder of Delicious)
Since launching in December 2009, Thumbtack has experienced strong growth and more than 40,000 service professionals have joined the marketplace. The services cover the United States and span a wide range of sectors including, for example, wedding officiants in Chicago, dance lessons in New York, and plumbing in Los Angeles. Generally, users can find ordinary service providers (such as tutors, painters, cleaners, translators) and unusual (rap teachers, cartoonists, belly dancers, body artists).
The company also provides a complimentary Personal Concierge service, with a trained staff selecting the best service professionals for any consumer request.
The new funds will enable Thumbtack to expand the team, add key features including email marketing and appointment management, and expand the Personal Concierge service.
Commenting on the round of funding, CEO Marco Zappacosta said: “We are really proud to have an all-star cast of Silicon Valley’s angel investors join our team as investors and advocates.
“Thumbtack is getting bigger and better every day, and we are excited to realize our vision of bringing local services online in the same way eBay and Amazon have done with products”, he added.
From YouTube: Thumbtack Elevator Pitch