EW Healthcare Partners, a growth equity firm that invests in fast-growing healthcare companies, raised over $745m in EW Healthcare Partners Fund 2, L.P. (together with its parallel fund, “Fund 2”).
This is the firm’s second dedicated growth equity fund, whose above the $650m target and $200m above the amount raised for Essex Woodlands Fund IX, L.P. (“Fund 1”).
Following the strategy established in Fund 1, Fund 2 targets fast-growing commercial-stage healthcare companies in the pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostics, and technology-enabled services sectors in the United States and in Europe.
The capital will be deployed with the goal of accelerating the revenue growth of growing healthcare companies. It is primarily looking for middle-market companies, with revenues of $20m to $200m and the potential to grow at ~20% annual revenue growth rate for several years.
Led by Petri Vainio, Managing Director and Chairman of the Executive Committee, and Marty Sutter, Co-Founder and Chairman of the Investment Committee, the team includes:
– Goran Ando, senior advisor and former Chairman of Novo Nordisk A/S;
– Lamberto Andreotti, senior advisor and former Chairman of Bristol-Myers Squibb Company;
– Tom Caskey, senior advisor and former President of the Merck Genome Research Institute;
– Bryan Morton, operating partner and former CEO and current Chairman of EUSA Pharma Ltd.; and
– Mike Warmuth, operating partner and former head of the Established Pharmaceuticals Division of Abbott Laboratories.
The executives with medical device experience include:
– Olivier Bohuon, senior advisor and former CEO of Smith & Nephew plc;
– Bill Hawkins, senior advisor and former Chairman and CEO of Medtronic Inc.;
– Guido Neels, operating partner and former COO of Guidant Corporation; and
– Bob White, operating partner and former CEO of Entellus Medical, Inc.
EW also announced the promotion of:
– Evis Hursever, who was promoted from Partner to Managing Director in the London office. Hursever has served on the board of EW portfolio companies EUSA Pharma Ltd. and Grupo Farmaceutico Biotoscana, S.A., among other key roles.
– Shaunak Parikh, who was promoted from Principal to Partner in the New York office. Parikh has played a key role in EW investments in TissueTech, Inc. and Prolacta Bioscience, Inc. and other portfolio companies.
– Brooks Andrews, who was promoted from Principal to Partner in the Palo Alto office. Andrews has played a key role in EW investments in AxoGen, Inc. and EyePoint Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and other portfolio companies.
EW Healthcare Partners is a large private healthcare investment firm making growth equity investments in fast growing commercial-stage healthcare companies in the pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostics, and technology-enabled services sectors in the United States and in Europe. Since its founding in 1985, the firm has invested in over 150 healthcare companies, ranging across sectors, stages and geographies.
The team is comprised of over 20 senior investment professionals with offices in Palo Alto, Houston, New York, and London.