G2 Esports, a Berlin, Germany-based global esports brand, secured a $17.3m (€15m) funding round.
The round – which brought total funding raised to date to over $24.6m – was led by Seal Rock Partners, Al Tylis, Dan Gilbert, Parkwood Corporation and Everblue Management with participation from:
– Yext Co-Founder and President, Brian Distelburger;
– Doodle Founder, Myke Naef; and
– Topgolf Media President, YuChiang Cheng;
– among others.
The company intends to use the funds to accelerate global expansion, fund franchise fees, and continue to invest in business and content operations.
Led by Carlos “ocelote” Rodriguez and Jens Hilgers in 2014, G2 Esports is a premier global esports brand representing some of the best competitive players around the globe with a fast-growing fan base. It has 67 players competing in such leagues as CSGO, Fortnite, Rocket League, Simracing, Heartstone, Clash Royale, Heartstone, Super Smash Bros, Rainbow Six Siege, and Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds.
The players haved reached a track record of over 80 achievements including:
– Four time consecutive winner of the European League of Legends Championship Series (EU LCS) – Spring/Summer 2016 and Spring/Summer 2017
– Second place at 2017 Mid-Season Invitational succumbing only to the ruling Worlds and MSI champions SK Telecom T1
– G2 CS:GO French ‘Super-team’ – biggest $ deal to date
– CS:GO team in 2017 became ESL Pro League Season 5, DreamHack Tours and DreamHack Masters Malmö Champions
– G2 Hearthstone Team awarded best Hearthstone team in the World in 2015 and 2016
– G2 Rocket League Team won the first World Championship in 2016 and NA RLCS Season 5 Champions
The company has also produced a reality TV show on MTV Spain alongside Vodafone, called “GAMERS”.
Partners include Logitech, Twitch, AOC, paysafecard, NEEDforSEAT and ESP.