Ambys Medicines, a Redwood City, CA-based developer of regenerative medicine therapies for serious liver diseases, raised $60m in Series A financing.
Backers included Third Rock Ventures and Takeda. As part of the launch, Ambys also announced today a strategic partnership with Takeda bringing total committed funding at launch to $140m.
Launched in 2018 by Third Rock Ventures and Takeda Pharmaceuticals, Ambys Medicines is a biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing therapies for people with advanced liver disease.
The company is pursuing multiple strategies to develop innovative new medicines for patients suffering from chronic liver diseases, including cell therapy for hepatocyte transplantation, gene therapy for liver regeneration, and drug therapy to replace lost protein function.
Led by Jeffrey Tong, Ph.D., chief executive officer and venture partner with Third Rock Ventures, the team also includes:
– Michael Holmes, Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer;
– Jeffrey Finer, M.D., Ph.D., interim Chief Technology Officer;
– Glenn Pierce, M.D., Ph.D., interim Chief Medical Officer; and
– Stanley Hollenbach, Senior Vice President of Pharmacology.
Scientific co-founders include:
– Martin Burke, M.D., Ph.D. is Professor of Chemistry at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,
– Markus Grompe, M.D. is the Ray Hickey Professor and Director of the Papé Family Pediatric Research Institute at Oregon Health & Science University, and the Director of the Oregon Stem Cell Center,
– Juan Carlos Izpisua Belmonte, Ph.D. is Professor and Roger Guillemin Chair of the Gene Expression Laboratories at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies,
– Holger Willenbring, M.D., Ph.D. is Professor of Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco.