The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has launched a new venture capital initiative focused on accelerating transformative aerospace technologies, manufacturing innovations and emerging business models.
Led by Steve Nordlund, Boeing HorizonX will operate as part of the Corporate Development & Strategy group, focusing on three focus areas:
– making targeted investments in new ventures and startups;
– seeking business opportunities for the company’s aerospace technology; and
– assessing disruptive innovations and business strategies.
Boeing HorizonX has invested in:
– Upskill, a Washington, D.C.-based provider of enterprise software for augmented reality wearables focused on enhancing productivity, quality and safety in manufacturing, field service and logistics.
– Zunum Aero, a Kirkland, Wash.-based company that is pursuing the development of alternative propulsion aircraft, with potential for performance and efficiency improvements in a range of aerospace applications.