Bamba, a Nairobi, Kenya-based data collection startup, closed its US$1.1m (Kes. 110m) first seed funding round.
– Techstars Austin 2013 LLC – Techstars
– Star Powers Partners II LLC – Comprised of Foundry Group, Right Side Capital, Draper Associates, Landscape Capital, Silicon Valley Bank, Winshall Walt, Iron Gate Capital
– Perivoli Innovations Trust
– Brett Hurt – Founder of Coremetrics (acquired by IBM), co-founder and former CEO of Bazaarvoice and co-founder & CEO of data.world
– Rishi Varma – Founder of AlphaDetail (Acquired by QuintilesIMS)
– Saurabh Khetrapal – Founder of People.com & Kazana Ventures
– Jason Reneau – Senior roles at uShip, Kiva Systems, MindBites, and FreeMarkets
– Alykhan Nathoo – Partner at Helios Investment Partners
– Scott Kosch – Managing Partner at Kosch Capital Management
– Faisal Jiwa – Investment Director at AfricInvest Capital Partners
– Ed Keller – CEO at RoperASW (acquired by GfK) & CEO/Founder of Keller Fay Group.
– Aadil Mamujee – Founded Pocket Gems
– Dale Mathias – Active Angel Investor
– Edward Mathias – MD of The Carlyle Group
– Claude Wasserstein – Manager of Fine Day Ventures
– Shamir Jiwa – Chairman & Founder of MAXIMeyes
The company intends to use the funds to develop new innovative data collection solutions and expand its team and geographical reach.
Co-founded by Al Ismaili, CEO, Shehzad Tejani, COO, and Faiz Hirani, CTO, Bamba is a boutique data collection agency that specializes in innovative solutions for gathering consumer insights from African markets otherwise challenging to reach. Clients include organizations from several sectors such as market research, consulting, private equity, agriculture, education, health, finance, government agencies, NGOs and private companies.
Clients include Kantar, the Aga Khan Foundation, and IPSOS, among others.
The company currently has a core workforce of 21 full-time employees and other field consultants around the world.