Synageva BioPharma Corp., a biopharmaceutical company, announced today that it has completed the final closing on a $45m financing.
This final closing, which adds $12m to the $33m investment announced in May, includes existing investors as well as new investor New Leaf Venture Partners (NLV), based in New York City and Menlo Park, CA.
Waltham, MA- and Athens, GA-based Synageva is dedicated to developing and commercializing novel, next-generation, and follow-on protein therapeutics that leverage the unique competitive advantages of its proprietary Synageva Expression Platform (SEP).
As stated by Sanj K. Patel, Synageva’s President and CEO, “This $45m financing helps Synageva realize its vision of developing a portfolio of innovative medicines for patients with rare diseases and high unmet medical need”.
As part of the financing, Srini Akkaraju, M.D., Ph.D., Managing Director at NLV, will join Synageva’s Board of Directors.
Synageva also announced the expansion of its senior leadership team with the following key appointments:
– Anthony Quinn, M.D., Ph.D., Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, is responsible for developing and overseeing the clinical strategy for Synageva’s portfolio.
– Eric Grinstead, Senior Vice President, Government and Business Affairs, is responsible for business strategy.
– AJ Joshi, M.D., Senior Vice President, Strategic Development and Corporate Operations, is responsible for corporate strategy and operations, as well as life cycle and alliance management.
– Brian Conner, Vice President Quality and Regulatory Affairs/ General Manager – Atlanta Office, is responsible for quality, regulatory affairs management, and general operations at Synageva’s Atlanta area office and production facilities.
– John Taylor, Vice President, Business Development, is responsible for product and technology licensing and its business development functions.