Serial Box, a NYC-based provider of a premium digital reading and audio platform, raised 4.5m in seed financing.
The round was led by Boat Rocker Media and Forerunner Ventures with participation from Todd Wagner, Japanese business intelligence and media firm Uzabase, and Richard Sarnoff, Michael Edelstein, Kevin Lin, and Mattias Lundgren.
Led by Molly Barton, CEO/CoFounder, Serial Box provides a premium digital reading and audio platform which has released two dozen original titles written by over 100 best-selling authors, including:
– Gwenda Bond, NYT Bestselling author of the first Stranger Things Novel, Suspicious Minds, writer on Dead Air and ReMade.
– Malka Older, Campbell Award finalist for the first novel in her cyberpunk political thriller series The Centenal Cycle, Infomocracy. She is part of the writing team for Born to the Blade and lead writer on Ninth Step Station.
– Yoon Ha Lee, NYT Bestselling author of Dragon Pearl and the Locus Award Winning Machinery of Empires Trilogy, and lead writer on forthcoming The Vela.
– Rachel Caine, NYT Bestselling author of The Great Library series and part of the Dead Air writing team.
– Max Gladstone, bestselling author of The Craft Sequence, co-lead writer on The Witch Who Came in from the Cold and lead writer on Bookburners.
– Ellen Kushner, cult classic bestselling and World Fantasy Award winning author of the “Riverside” series and lead writer on Tremontaine.
– Becky Chambers, critically acclaimed and Hugo Award nominated author of the Wayfarers series and part of The Vela writing team.
Partners include The Associated Press, Hachette Book Group, Blackbox TV, Adaptive Studios, Rakuten Kobo and most recently Marvel Entertainment.