CryptoKitties, a game based on blockchain technology, raised $12m in funding.
The round was led by Andreessen Horowitz and Union Square Ventures, with participation from:
– Naval Ravikant (Co-founder of AngelList and CoinList)
– Mark Pincus (Founder of Zynga)
– Bill Tai (kitesurfing VC and Board Member of BitFury)
– Fred Ehrsam (former Founder of Coinbase)
– William Mougayar (Founder of Token Summit)
– Avichal Garg (Expert at Y Combinator)
– CAA Ventures, the investment arm of the world’s leading talent agency
– Digital Currency Group
– Version One, one of Canada’s leading venture firms
– Rising Tide Fund, investors in Blockstack and Brave
– YesVC, a new fund started by Caterina Fake (co-founder of Flickr) and Jyri Engstrom
– Hex Capital.
Developed by Axiom Zen, a Vancouver, BC-based developer of a venture studio specializing in emerging technology, CryptoKitties is a cryptocollectible game built on blockchain technology which allows people to buy, sell, or trade CryptoKitty, and secure in the knowledge that blockchain will track ownership securely.
The game uses ether (ETH) for all its transactions.