Entrega, a Boston, MA-based company focused on the oral delivery of complex molecules, such as peptides, that cannot currently be taken orally, received $5M equity and research funding from Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY).
The two companies also announced a research collaboration to advance Entrega’s proprietary peptide delivery technology.
Under the terms of the initial agreement, Entrega will receive the funding to investigate the application of its peptide delivery technology to certain Lilly products and therapeutic candidates. This initial agreement does not grant Lilly a development or commercialization license to the Entrega technology.
An affiliate of PureTech Health (LSE: PRTC), Entrega leverages a technology platform which uses a proprietary, customizable hydrogel dosage form to control local fluid microenvironments in the GI tract to both enhance absorption and reduce the variability of drug exposure. The technology has the potential to deliver a wide variety of biological molecules, drug substances, and nanoparticles, and may also enable novel applications in a variety of fields such as disease management and mobile health tracking.
The company’s Directors and Scientific Advisory Board is comprised of a group of experts, including:
– Robert Langer, Sc.D., who is one of 13 Institute Professors at MIT (an Institute Professor is the highest honor awarded to a faculty member).
– Colin Gardner, Ph.D., who was formerly the CSO of a startup formulation company (TransForm Pharmaceuticals), which was acquired by Johnson & Johnson and consequently led to major changes in the way in which J&J integrated discovery and early development.
– Samir Mitragotri, Ph.D., who is the Hiller Professor of Bioengineering and Wyss Professor of Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University.
– Howard B. Rosen, M.B.A., who was formerly President of ALZA Corporation, where he was responsible for all aspects of managing the drug delivery company as an independent 1000-person operating company within the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies.
– Rob Armstrong, Ph.D., who is the Chief Executive Officer, board member, and co-founder of Boston Pharmaceuticals.