Opkix, a Costa Mesa, Calif.-based maker of tiny cameras and an integrated social content app, raised $5.4m at the close of its Series A financing round.
– Bob McKnight (Quiksilver),
– Travis Brasher & John Kruger (Travis Mathew Apparel),
– Jennifer Prince (Twitter),
– Steven Silverstein (Spencer Gifts),
– Brian Haner a.k.a. Synyster Gates (Avenged Sevenfold),
– Sal Masekela (Broadcast Journalist),
– Sarah Tanno (Celebrity Makeup Artist), and
– Steve Howey (Actor).
The round, which valued the company at $90m, will enable the company to continue to expand operations and business reach as well as to continue to develop its consumer camera products in the wearable, lighting, optics, accessories and mobile camera space.
Led by C. Lawrence Greaves, Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer, Opkix is to release its flagship product, a smart, small, and simple smartphone connected cam, in 2018.
The camera’s design, inspired by the desire to capture adventures in the moment, hands-free, with no reservations, fits the demands of artists, athletes, musicians, filmmakers, designers and creatives.
Key design features include:
– Wireless and wired camera options
– Hands free with multiple mounting capabilities
– Luxury anodized aluminum finishes in rose gold, red, black, space grey and white
– Social sharing app with geo-functionality
– Integration with outside social media platforms
– Augmented reality
The Opkix app – a content creation and video editing tool that allows users to create videos to share on other social media platforms – is set to launch in Fall 2017 to a limited influencer base.
The camera will launch to consumers in January 2018.