Emoticast, a London, UK-based mobile messaging provider for the entertainment industry, raised $5m in funding.
– entrepreneur and Napster co-founder Sean Parker through Strangeloop Ventures;
– producer and Black Eyed Peas co-founder will.i.am;
– DJ and producer David Guetta;
– former Maker Studios CEO Ynon Kreiz;
– Jason Epstein, board member for Rhapsody International, parent company of Rhapsody and Napster;
– Nicole Junkermann through Montilla International Corporation; and
– Alan Cannistraro.
The company intends to use the funds to continue to grow its partners in music and other entertainment fields, to increase original content collaborations with artists, and to expand its messaging partner network.
Founded by music industry serial entrepreneur James Fabricant, former Head MySpace Europe, Emoticast lets both iOS and Android users share music GIFs with sound from top artists across the biggest messaging platforms, including iMessage, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Kik, Skype, Telegram and Viber, via its TuneMoji apps and bots.
The company has already secured the global rights to extensive collections, through partnerships with major music labels, publishers and entertainment companies.