Finistere Ventures, a Palo Alto and San Diego-based California-based agricultural technology and life sciences venture capital investor, held the first close of its second fund.
According to a regulatory filing with the SEC, Finistere Ventures II, L.P. has already raised $139.3m. The final target of the fund has been fixed at $200m.
Founded in 2005, the firm invests in private companies focusing on Life Science, IT and Sustainability, regardless of their stage of growth, basing its investment choices on the following factors:
1. A great entrepreneurial team
2. An unfair advantage (Disruption: intellectual property, network effects, relationships)
3. A tractable market (predominantly we are focused on the USA)
4. The potential to build a large company.
Led by Arama Kukutai, Partner, San Diego, Jerry Caulder, Chairman, San Diego, Spencer Maughan, Partner, Palo Alto, Kirk Belsby, Partner, San Diego, Paul Zorner, Venture Partner, San Diego, Ann Whitley, Finance Director, San Diego, Finistere has invested in:
– CropX, an ag-analytics company that has developed an advanced adaptive irrigation service;
– YottaMark, Inc., developer of ShopWell, which provides innavative solutions for quality food and healthy living; and
– ZeaKal, Inc., a traits technology company which focuses on improving the photosynthetic efficiency of plants.