Funded solely with their own personal wealth, DSCN Capital aims to provide startups with capital and additional services and benefits that can be accessed through their personal networks at little to no additional cost.
The list of value add services includes expert marketing assistance, athlete sponsorships and endorsements, recruiting services, discounted shipping and logistics, access to a wide array of national retailers etc..
Additionally, the fund has created an innovative inventory finance program for their consumer product portfolio companies.
Schottenstein will be running DSCN day to day, specifically looks to focus on early stage startups. At launch, the fund has invested in over 19 startups in industries ranging from food to apparel to hardware with six more companies on deck to close. Portfolio companies include:
– Hillflint, an upscale collegiate apparel company,
– Skylock, a solar-powered wireless bicycle lock company,
– Vugo, a startup that allows Uber drivers to turn their tablets into advertising vehicles for additional revenue,
– PopSlate, a tech company creating second screens for mobile devices through their innovative and patented cell phone cases, and
– OneWheel, a self-balancing electric skateboard manufacturer.