As usual, Menlo Park-based late stage venture capital firm Institutional Venture Partners (IVP) has released its 2015 year review.
Highlights include a new $1.4 billion fund, distribution of over $500 million in capital back to its Limited Partners, including the proceeds from Business Insider (sold to Axel Springer), Datalogix (sold to ORCL), and Supercell (sold to SoftBank).
IPOs in 2015 included:
– Mindbody (MB), a provider of cloud-based business management software for the wellness services industry, which went public in June; and
– Pure Storage (PSTG), an independent solid-state array vendor, which went public in October.
The firm also made 14 new investments as follows:
– AlienVault, a provider of Unified Security Management and crowd-sourced threat intelligence
– App Annie, a decision-making platform for the mobile app economy
– Casper, a retailer with a direct-to-consumer model for high-end mattresses, pillows, sheets, and other sleep-related products
– Compass, a technology-driven real estate platform, combining agents with technology
– GitHub, a large collaborative software development community
– NerdWallet, a financial technology startup that provides consumers with additional clarity around key financial decisions at every stage of their lives
– Pindrop, a provider of phone fraud prevention and call center authentication solutions
– Slack, a business-focused messaging platform for teams which unites communication and collaboration
– SoFi, a lending marketplace
– SteelBrick, a provider of next-generation quote-to-cash software applications built on the Salesforce platform
– Sumo Logic, a cloud-based, machine data analytics service
– Tanium, an endpoint management company redefining security and systems management
– Vessel, a video platform targeting premium short-form content, and
– Walker & Company Brands, an online retailer making health and beauty simple for people of color.
During the year, promotions and new hires have taken place. Somesh Dash and Eric Liaw were promoted to General Partners. In addition, IVP hired Tracy Hogan, the former Chief Financial Officer and Chief Compliance Officer of Elevation Partners, as its Chief Financial Officer. Tom Loverro and Roseanne Wincek joined as Vice Presidents, and Michael Giampapa, Louise Ireland, and Alexander Lim joined the firm as Associates.