LightSail Education, a New York-based developer of K-12 digital literacy solutions, raised $3.5m in Series A funding.
The round was led by Ricardo A. Sagrera of Viceroy Ventures with participation from:
– Joel Greenblatt of Gotham Capital;
– Chuck Strauch, former Chairman & CEO, PairGain Technologies;
– Dan Nir of Sargent Capital;
– Lisa Lippman of Brown Harris Stevens;
– Paul Appelbaum, Co-Founder of Seamless.com; and
– Zac Zeitlin, an education technology angel investor, and
The company intends to use the funds to expand content partnerships, product development, and increase adoption of its solution in schools nationwide.
Led by Gideon Stein, Co-Founder and CEO, and and Chief Academic Officer Jessica Reid Sliwerski, LightSail provides students with personalized tablet-based libraries drawing from more than 18,000 e-books. It embeds assessments and analytics in students’ texts, monitoring their Lexile measures, Common Core progress and reading habits.
Teachers receive real-time data along with tools designed to support best literacy instruction practices in classrooms.