Marinexplore Closes Seed Funding
Marinexplore, a Sunnyvale, CA-based provider of a big data collaboration platform for searching and analyzing ocean data, has closed its seed funding of undisclosed amount.
The round was led by Intertrust Technologies Corporation, with participation from:
- Fredrik Astrup,
- Lars Erik Baustad (offshore entrepreneur),
- Marek Kiisa (Astrec Invest, investor of GrabCAD), and
- Ivar Siimar (WNB, investor in Defendec smart dust technology and other cleantech companies).
Founded in February 2012 by ex-ABB Business Development Manager Rainer Sternfeld, CEO, ex-Skype Research Lead André Karpištšenko, and Kalle Kägi, Marinexplore addresses the two biggest issues around managing marine-related big data:
- how to access the vast amount of data that reside in isolated silos, segregated and disconnected from each other; and
- how to make the handling and processing of all this data more efficient.
Marinexplore uses public data from sources such as: NOAA stations, the intergovernmental Argo Program Deep Floats and GTS Buoys , as well as from Liquid Robotics wave gliders of the PacX experiment and Rutgers University gliders. Data are organized into computationally efficient storage, making it easy to explore, access and download ocean data from different devices and data sources.
Launched in July 2012, the company has already gathered more than 1,700 Alpha users, mainly professionals from the oceanographic and marine technology community, environment, and offshore industry. of Marinexplore.
Marinexplore has a development team in Tallinn, Estonia.