Ostrovok Raises $13.6M in Series A Funding
Ostrovok, a Moscow-based hotels-focused online travel website for Russian consumers, has raised $13.6m in Series A funding.
The round was led by General Catalyst Partners and Accel Partners, with participation from:
– Peter Thiel and Founders Fund (Facebook);
– Niklas Zennstrom and Atomico (Skype);
– Mark Pincus (founder of Zynga);
– Esther Dyson (Yandex board member);
– Fritz Demopoulos (founder of Qunar);
– Sebastian de Halleux (Playfish);
– Naval Ravikant (Epinions, AngelList);
– Felix Shpilman (DST);
– Scott Banister (Ironport, Slide);
– James Hong (Hotornot); and
– Sam Shank (Hoteltonight).
According to a written statement, the funding brings the company’s valuation to more than $35m.
Founded in late 2010 by CEO Serge Faguet and Kirill Makharinsky, Ostrovok intends to build and offer a simple, user-friendly online destination that allows consumers to book hotel rooms around the world at competitive prices.